Friday, March 6, 2009

Hawk Talk: Danielle McCray, Women's Basketball


Daughter of Ellareese Murray and Steven McCray ... Born in Boynton Beach, Fla. ... Has a brother, Brandon Willingham ... Majoring in Communication Studies ... Intends to pursue a career as a computer programmer and has ambitions of playing in the WNBA.




If you had to be one superhero, who would it be?

Hancock. I could just break through everything and tell people, “If you say my name one more time I’m gonna kill you!”

When you’re dominating, do you feel bad for the person guarding you?

That’s a good question! Not always, just because they are gonna come down and try to score on me, so I don’t always feel bad for them. Sometimes though, it’s just like wow, that coach is about to be really mad at her!

Talk about playing basketball in high school…

High school was really fun. I played against Melissa Grieb, we were school rivals. There were a lot of fans in high school and some incredible moments. We made it to state a few times. We never went very far but it was a fun time.

You also competed in High School Track.

Yeah, I was in triple jump, shot put, and discus. At one point I was 5th in the nation in the shot. I really loved it. It was fun because I would go to the shot put from the triple jump. There would be some big girls with their shorts and all that. Then I would show up in my sprinter shorts and win. It was awesome to jump around from event to event; I really loved track and field.

When you were playing against Melissa Grieb, if she would have charged you with steam coming out of her ears, what would you have done to stop her?

I think I would get the wheels on my feet and run away.

So were you recruited for track and field?

Yes, Coach Redwine still asks me if I want to do it for my fifth year, but I don’t think I’ll be here for five years. I want to play in the WNBA and possibly overseas. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll find a career in business – somewhere where I can dress up every day!

If you had to punch an animal in the face to get a quintuple-double, would you do it?

Yes. Absolutely.

What animal would you punch?

It would be a snake. I hate snakes.

So you just had a career high. When are you going to break your new career high of 35 points?

It's gonna be tough because of how teams are guarding me now. But it could be tomorrow, it could be in the tournament. Time will tell.

Describe what it's like to be on fire?

When the energy is there and the fans are in it, it feels good to come off screens and take shots like practice. It is amazing.

What do you love most about KU?

The people, traditions and sports are great. Everyone is really friendly.

What does the KU women’s basketball do to prepare for a game?

Normally we dance. We have been quoting Superbad a lot lately, too, but mainly we all just do stupid dances.







Who is the worst dancer?

It has to be Krysten Boogard. She’s bad! Rebecca Feickert kinda has some groove, but it is like a slow motion groove.

Who is the best?

I am, of course. LaChelda too, and Kelly. She has her own style.

Would you rather have KU Women’s basketball win the national championship, but you have to sleep on a bed of snakes, or…

Bed of snakes. I’d make the sacrifice for the championship. It would be worth it. I’d sacrifice all the days and live with it!

1 comment:

  1. Danielle,

    What a great game the other night. Awesome post and best of success to your team in post season play.

    http://www.fannation.com/users/view_user_profile/12783

    ReplyDelete