Monday, February 23, 2009

Meet the Chair

So Brad Thorson came up with the idea to start a Jayhawk SAAC Blog, and by now you have probably realized that it is awesome. Don’t get me wrong, Brad actually got the idea from Club Trillion (though he claims that it came to him in a dream), but for the sake of Brad’s ego, we will totally give him credit.

For those of you who don’t know me, you have probably been living in a hole for the last 5 years. My name is Matt Baysinger. If this name doesn’t ring a bell, you may know me better as the brainchild of Jayrock brilliance. You also may know me as having the worst athletics mugshot ever. If you feel like you know of a more grossly horrific mugshot, please email the link to jayhawksaac@gmail.com and we will be sure to post. Before I continue, I feel like I need to give you the background story of the faux hawk. Approximately one month prior to our team pictures, a bunch of the guys on the cross country team had the bright idea of growing beards and moustaches for the team picture. Unfortunately for me, I have yet to hit puberty, and likely will not do so until age 35. To properly compensate for my lack of facial hair, my attention-driven ego and I thought it would be best to find an alternate route to look foolish. In retrospect, it was a horrible idea, and the picture has now come back to haunt me on multiple occasions. Oops.

The main reason that this picture has come back to haunt me is that I was recently elected as the Chair of the NCAA Division I National SAAC – which means that this picture is regularly attached to any quote or publication associated with my name. Real professional, right?

Now that you know a little more about our group, you may think that SAAC stands for ‘stunningly attractive astonishing citizens’. While this acronym wouldn’t be incorrect in its application, SAAC is actually the student-athlete advisory committee. We have realized as student-athletes that we’re all in this together, and that the power of many is far greater than the power of one. Here at Kansas, we meet every other week to talk about community service, student government, upcoming games, and general ideas of promoting awesomeness. On the national level, I do a lot with legislation – like how legislative proposals become rules.

Before I go any further, it has come to my attention that people sometimes get Paul Hefferon and me confused. Paul and I are both young, handsome, and witty. He has been one of my best friends since our sophomore year in high school – Blue Valley West Jaguars represent! I moved from Colorado shortly after Paul moved from Georgia. After a few short months, we not only realized that we had a great deal in common, but we realized that we are the exact same person. It is our theory that Paul and I are actually the product of a government experiment of what happens when the same person is raised in two environments. Through this process, Paul became a distance runner, and I started sprinting. I won’t go into details, as I am sure that Paul will want to touch on this subject at another time.


Rock Chalk.


Matt Baysinger (MTF, CNCAADINSAAC [Chair, NCAA Division I National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee])


No comments:

Post a Comment