Monday, December 6, 2010

Quick Pix: Tattoos

Several of the Jayhawk student-athletes at KU are inked up, here are a few stories behind some of these Jayhawk's tattoos.

"We got it as something that not only symbolizes the running aspect of our lives, but also the tough times we've been through together over the past year and a half. At one point or another we've all been through tough stuff but we've been there for each other. It will bonds us. It will always be a cool story to tell people that we got these tattoos with best friends in college. As, for running, the tattoo is also very similar to the symbol used by the NCAA and having the opportunity to be Division I runners is something we are very proud of!"

-Natalie Becker, Tessa Turcotte and Allie Marquis (cross country, track and field)


____________________________________________________________________

"I got my tattoo this past summer as a reminder of where my strength comes from and as a symbol of my faith. 'Nothing is impossible with God' is a powerful statement for me and I believe it wholeheartedly. the verse from Isaiah 40 has been my verse since I first started running. It was the one that was put on my mom's heart for her to share with me and it has become my power verse. 'Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall, but those who hop in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar high on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.' My tattoo is an anchor for me. It reminds me daily of who I am and who I want to be."

-Rebeka Stowe (cross country, track and field)

____________________________________________________________________

"The tattoo says 'sin temor' and means 'fearless' in Spanish. It's to remind me how to be. And it's also an angel holding a cross, it's to watch over me I guess. It's not finished but there will also be three roses around the angel to represent my mom, dad and sister."

-Brandon Macias (baseball)
____________________________________________________________________

"This is the first tattoo I had done. I got it the night before I left for KU, August 13th, 2009. It means 'fearless commitment' in Finnish. I kept the phrase true to itself by having it written in Finnish; Finland has won 21 of the 69 medals awarded in the javelin during the modern Olympics era. I decided on this tattoo because I believe if you are going to accomplish anything you must attack it wholeheartedly and be committed to the goal. Also, it is a Finnish javelin phrase which is why it is on my left thigh (my plant leg) and relates to creating an aggressive 'block' for the throw."
-Dan Hitman (track and field)
____________________________________________________________________


" I got [Steve Prefontaine] because he not only ran without fear, but lived without fear and I admire that and have struggled with it. I got [courage written in Hindi] for the same reason as the Prefontaine one. Both are reminders for me to be courageous."
-Clay Schneider (cross country, track and field)

1 comment:

  1. The first tattoos kinda look like the NCAA logo, but also look like the special olympics logo as well. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete